Here at Denton Stove Centre, we want our clients to practice safe stove usage which is why we offer a fitting service carried out by a member of our team. After all, it is essential that a stove has a fully functioning ventilation system in place via the chimney and flue as this is the only way to remove toxic gases like carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Read on as we go over a few reasons why stove ventilation is so important…

Why is oxygen necessary during combustion?

In order for a fire to burn effectively, it needs three main ‘ingredients’ and these are known as heat, fuel and oxygen. After all, combustion is a chemical reaction and the components in the fuel react with the oxygen in the air in order to generate heat as a by-product, which we use to keep warm. When the oxygen supply is running low, a fire will start to diminish before it gradually goes out by itself.

What is a certificate of compliance?

When a stove is installed, it has to be fitted in line with a range of government regulations as ventilation is a legal requirement. With this said, these regulations depend on the air permeability of a property, which is the measurement of how airtight a building is. After all, a more air permeable home is more efficient and therefore does not need as strict ventilation requirements. Luckily, a certified HETAS installer will be able to fit a stove ventilation system to the appropriate specification and provide property owners with a certificate of compliance, a form that tells the government that the stove is legally safe for use.

Is a lack of stove ventilation dangerous?

Whilst stove ventilation is used in order to allow oxygen into a property and keep a fire burning for as long as the property owner requires, it is also essential for removing toxic gases too. After all, burning carbon-based fuels like coal and firewood can lead to the development of dangerous gases like carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. If a homeowner does not have a high-quality ventilation system in place, these gases will remain inside a property and may put the health of inhabitants at risk.

Ventilation is important regardless of whether a homeowner plans to burn gas, coal or firewood as they are all carbon-based fuels that release toxic gases as a by-product. As a result, an expertly installed flue must be in place in order to ensure that the air inside a home is safe to breathe. To find out more information, get in contact with the best stoves Manchester has to offer and ask a member of the Denton Stove Centre about our fitting service today!