The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

//The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Burning carbon-based fuels like coal and firewood can lead to the creation of a dangerous gas known as carbon monoxide (CO) and it is important that residential homeowners know how to ensure that it is effectively removed from a home via the flue system. After all, neglecting the maintenance of a fireplace or stove can allow carbon monoxide to build up to alarming levels. Read on as the team here at Denton Stove Centre go over everything there is to know about the dangers of CO…

How is carbon monoxide created?

Scientifically, carbon monoxide contains one carbon atom and one oxygen atom which means that it is often created during the incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels like gas, coal and wood. After all, these fuels typically create carbon dioxide as a by-product, which contains two oxygen atoms. Since carbon monoxide can form easily, it is essential that every fuel-burning household has an effective ventilation system in place in order to remove toxic gases.

How is carbon monoxide detected?

Although it is very dangerous and highly toxic, carbon monoxide is incredibly difficult to detect because it is colourless, odourless and tasteless. As a result, it is important that homeowners have a functioning CO detector in place that is tested on a regular basis. In addition to this, regular chimney sweeping is a preventative method that every active stove and fireplace user should invest in.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

When carbon monoxide is inhaled for a long period of time, it can enter the blood stream and replace the oxygen that is usually carried by haemoglobin in the red blood cells. As a result, inhabitants of an affected home can start to display symptoms like fatigue, nausea, headaches and dizziness. In these circumstances, it is essential that the patients seek emergency medical assistance to treat carbon monoxide poisoning and the property is treated by a professional before re-entry.

Here at Denton Stove Centre, we try to emphasise the importance of regular chimney sweeping in order to prevent carbon monoxide settling inside a property and affecting the inhabitants. With this said, every homeowner should invest in a high-quality carbon monoxide detector and check it regularly in order to ensure that it is working as they are often the first sign of high CO levels that people receive. To find out more information about stove maintenance, get in contact with the best stoves Manchester has to offer today!

By | 2019-11-21T10:26:42+00:00 November 21st, 2019|Stoves Manchester|Comments Off on The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

About the Author: